Friday, April 4, 2014

One for the Memorial Box

Well...It's official. I'm going to get myself a box this weekend to start storing up all these memories of what God is doing in our lives. He is working! In some ways I feel like this hard season of our lives is teaching me so much more about Him than I ever knew before.

This is a story of Faithful God, and how He delights in giving good gifts to his children. (Matthew 7:11)

It starts with an unruly attitude that has been building in my heart for the last two months. It's no secret that Hubster is in grad school. It's no secret that I am sick. of. it. I am proud of him for working toward his dream and I am proud of him for sticking with it even when it is so hard. BUT. Sometimes I get a little resentful of having to spend all my time filling out class forms and checking payment dates and making sure he gets everything done on time. And sometimes I get a little resentful of getting awesome bonus checks from work for the first time ever and then having to turn around and spend all of it on one payment for a class.

So last Tuesday was Bible Study at a friends house, and we were talking about how to be free from whatever is holding us back. At the end there was a time for prayer requests, and I'm not usually this open or honest (unfortunately) in a room of complete strangers, but I wrote down that I wanted prayer for my stinky rotten attitude about Robby's grad school, specifically about how I felt upset that I never got to use my commission check for what I wanted to. I felt pretty bad about even writing that down, because really? How selfish is that? People are starving all over the world and I was mad about having to use money that had been given to us for something I didn't want to use it for. I should have been grateful that God was providing that money for his school payments in the first place.

But I'm human y'all.  And isn't that what prayer is for anyway? 

So my friend has been praying for me. And it's gotten so much better. Today is paycheck day, and we pulled out all the money for grad school. I was feeling a little resigned about the whole situation but at least I wasn't mad anymore.

As I'm working through a normal day, my father-in-law (also my boss and the owner of the insurance agency I work at) comes by and drops a check off at my desk. I didn't even know what it was, and I'm honestly still not sure what it's for, except that it's for me. Apparently our cost sharing was good this year so the company was giving back a little bit to each employee.


But can I just tell you.... The amount on this totally unexpected bonus check is actually more than my regular commission check came out to be after taxes were taken out.

I was only asking for prayer for my attitude. But God changed my attitude, and then he changed my situation too.

This check stub is definitely going in the Memorial Box. 


If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!  Matthew 7:11


1 comment:

  1. I can definitely relate with the rotten attitude - I have it towards a few of the circumstances in my own life right now. Your posts are beautiful and encouraging, they have allowed me to look at my situation with new eyes and a grateful heart. Thank you! Awesome blog. Sending prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete