Friday, November 22, 2013

The Power of Words

Lately God has been showing me how truly powerful our words are.

I'm working through a Beth Moore study called Believing God. I'm working through it much more slowly than I would like, mainly because it's Medicare season at work and things there are way too crazy busy. But, I'm working through it. The last few days of homework and study are about the power of words. After all, God could have created the universe from nothing by just thinking, but He chose instead to speak the universe into existence (Gen 1:3). Jesus could have raised Lazarus from the dead with a thought, but instead He said, "Lazarus, come out!" (John 11:43).

That same power to speak life into and over others lives in us as Christians. But, so often we misuse our tongues and we spew out words that are critical, hateful, mean, or slanderous. We use the same tongue for blessings and curses (James 3:9-10). Beth Moore makes a good point in this study; God is much more reluctant to use our words powerfully when we also use our mouths to consistently sin. This week has been a week of repenting and trying so desperately to get a hold of my tongue; my bad language, the way I carelessly throw around the powerful and matchless Name of Jesus, my criticisms of others, my that's-what-she-said jokes and crude humor, and my gossip habit. Y'all- taming my tongue is so hard.

At the beginning of the week I was so discouraged. I am sure I made Satan mad (since he l.o.v.e.s. it when I spit out curses and sin constantly) and he was using my discouragement to his advantage. All those familiar lies were being whispered to me; You should just quit. God isn't proud of you; look how often you have to repent. You can't possibly do this. He would rather you be yourself anyway. And then, I realized that wasn't coming from God; the one who gives us a spirit of power, love, and sound mind! My attitude began to change. I stopped thinking of this process as a failure before I'd even begun, and I started seeing it how God sees it; a lifetime process of sanctifying what I guard most closely and don't want to give Him control of. And that last lie? The one that says God would rather me be myself?! No. God wants me to be more like Him. He wants me to be who He created me to be, yes. But that doesn't include my sin nature.

Once that attitude shift started in my heart, I started seeing the power of words how God sees them. He started bringing people into my path who were speaking LIFE to me.
  • One man who told me how grateful he was that I able to help him with his health insurance. He kept telling me that he was impressed that I knew what I was doing even though I was so young.
  • A lady today who asked me what my Team Tina bracelet's verse was (2 Timothy 1:7) and who told me that I needed to keep smiling because I was kind to her and that shows people Christ in us.
I'm definitely not saying any of that to brag; there are so many days where I feel totally incompetent to sell health insurance and days when I frown all day and don't point anyone to the Lord with how I live. The point here is that their words to me were powerful. And they were affirming and life-giving.

If the tongue has the power of life and death (Proverbs 18:21) doesn't it matter how we use it?

No comments:

Post a Comment