Friday, May 24, 2013

Wise Words

I was reading over at A Holy Experience this morning, and one line of her post stuck with me. I was feeling a little bogged down this afternoon between work and money worries and all kinds of other stuff, so I felt the need to get creative to clear out some of that junk. So I made my own printable.

It's a good reminder for me. Sometimes I have a tendency to feel like I'm in the middle of a flood and I'm drowning with no land in sight. After the flood is gone, the landscape is always changed.

I'm afraid of the damage I'm letting the floods of trouble do. I'm afraid that when the waters recede, there are going to be deep ruts in my heart that can reach up and swallow a man. I want to look back on these years and say that the lean times made us stronger, closer, better. But I'm afraid they are making me weaker, better at worrying, and more likely to complain. I know having more won't solve those problems, because those are deeper issues. They are heart problems.

The bitterness left after flood waters recede are a marker of my growing discontent. My lack of gratitude. All too often, I forget to be thankful for what I have and I spend all my time looking for what I lack. That's a choice that I make. Some days it's a choice I make minute by minute.

So, today, I'm choosing thankfulness. It's been way too long since I've done that.

1 comment:

  1. I commented only on the e-mail link. You are wise beyond your years. I love your transparency. Gratitude is always a choice. Thank you for choosing thankfulness. Thank you for being a blessing. Thank you too, for filling in your ruts. Blessed are you.

    ReplyDelete