Monday, March 25, 2013

Making it a Home

I don't really talk about this much on here but people who know me in person know I love to do crafty stuff. By that I mean all kinds of random things. I'll sew, paint, hammer, and just create stuff pretty happily whenever I get the chance. I would have to say that the main reason I don't blog about stuff that I work on is that I pretty much stink at taking before photos, and I never really follow a specific plan, so I can't give you a tutorial for the things I do.

But then I realized, hey...it's my blog and I can write about whatever the heck I want to! Even if I don't have a lovely tutorial or good pictures.

So, here's what went down this weekend.

First, we got to have some hang time with our favorite kiddos in the world. (And no they aren't foster kids, we were just babysitting for our friends). Who doesn't love some early morning hedgehog watching? I share a lot of pictures of the hedgie when she's happy, but that ball of spikes on the right hand side of the picture is Prickles (aptly named) when she's less than thrilled with us for waking her up.

Ok, going back to the house. How do I let every post get hijacked by the hedgehog?

So I have had several things on my to-do list for a while now. This weekend I decided to get started on framing out the huge mirror that is in our bathroom. We have an older house that we are s.l.o.w.l.y. updating as we get the funds, and it's mostly a DIY adventure. My ongoing theme is "use what you've got". So, in the spirit of using what we already had, we decided that instead of replacing the nasty old mirror that was already up in the bathroom, we would frame it out. And by we, I mean I. The Hubs took one look at that thing and said, "Good Luck!" and left me in the trenches.


Also please notice the lovely pink and gray tile that this particular bathroom is sporting. The other one is mint green. You see what we are working with here? It's fantastic. Eventually we will demo the tile but that's not in the budget right now.

This is the mirror before we did any work to it. Well, actually, this is not a complete before picture. The real before picture would show you that when we moved in, there was a HUGE, ugly, brass mirror frame on here that was actually holding the mirror up on the wall. It was a very heavy ornate thing with built in cup holders and brass roses all over. Pretty to someone I guess, but not our style.

I tried to google a picture of this mirror frame in all of it's glorious ugliness, but since nothing came up, I took the liberty of re-creating it.
 I have NO idea why someone thought it was a good idea to put cup holders on a mirror frame, but they did. I guess it's to hold your water cup for rinsing your mouth when you brush your teeth. Now I wish I had taken a picture just so you know I'm not lying about this sucker. It was intense.

 When I took these pictures, we had already removed the frame and re-hung the mirror up on the wall.
If you look closely in these very poor quality and blurry pictures, you can see that there are scratches all around the edges of the mirror. That's the reason we needed to frame the mirror out with something else. The heavy brass frame had rubbed dings and scratches all over the edges of the glass that were ugly and distracting.

In order to make a new frame, I headed to Lowe's and got some of this really cheap MDF framing stuff. Don't ask what it's real name is or how much it costs because I have no idea! I also got a miter box and a saw and the little corner pieces so that I wouldn't have to make any angled cuts. Because let's face it, I didn't do so hot in any type of math class, especially geometry.

A couple of hours and some liquid nails later, the mirror was looking good as new! Well, it still looks a little redneck because of the tape holding it in place, but that's gone as of this morning. I just didn't get any after pictures. See why I haven't posted about any of this before now?! No before pictures, and no after pictures. Just some random, middle of the process shots!




But I will say, if you tilt your head to the left and squint a little, it's looking pretty good!

*Also, please keep in mind that this is not a tutorial. If you want to do this the right way or even in a way that ensures the mirror doesn't potentially come crashing down in the middle of the night, please consult a professional. Or at least another blog.


3 comments:

  1. I just love consulting your blog! Love, love, love keeping up with your fabulous life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also love the attack position of Prickles.

    ReplyDelete