Friday, February 1, 2013

Unofficial Macklemore Thrift Shop Challenge

 Today I'm linking up with Young House Love for the Completely Unofficial Macklemore Thrift Shop Challenge. It's based off of Macklemore's song, Thrift Shop

The challenge was to go to a thrift shop with only $20 in your pocket and see what you can come out with. Then, there was a scavenger hunt piece to the challenge; to find one thing from the song and get a picture with that item.

So, I grabbed my friends and the Hubs and we went to Goodwill. We were the only ones who went to actually purchase anything, but we all participated in the scavenger hunt portion!



You gotta train them to find deals early, right? 
First, we set out in search of all the items from the song so that we could take a group picture. Here's our list:
Then, when we had gathered an entire buggy full of random items, we put as many of them on as possible, draped the rest over the buggy, and posed for a group picture. Not everyone was amused.


Here are the listed items that we found:


 I swear that outfit was bright pink, even though it looks completely red in this picture. Also, we had to set the camera on a shelf and put the timer on to get this group picture, so you can't really see the feet on the footed pajamas or the gator shoes. Sad times because the gator shoes were awesome. I can't even find a picture that looks close. They were white gator skin shoes with gold tips, gold tassels, and gold heels.

Ok, on to the purchases that were made. I only ended up spending $5.99 because I'm going back tomorrow when everything is on sale to spend the rest of the $20. But, I went in search of children's books for the foster bedroom, and I found some great ones! All of these books for $5.99.



Then, the last part of my purchase that will be made tomorrow. I'm going back for a rug that looks exactly like this one. I have no idea where it's originally from though, sorry guys.

Sadly, it didn't fit into my $20 thrift shop challenge budget. The price tag said $28, but the first Saturday of every month, Goodwill puts the entire store 50% off. So, needless to say, I'm going back TOMORROW for their first of the month sale and (assuming he's still there) grabbing this bad boy up so fast the cashier's head will spin.
Even though I haven't technically purchased the rug yet, I'm including it in my awesome finds for under $20.

Total Purchases:
Books - $5.99
Rug - $14.00 (after getting 50% off)

Grand Total: $19.99

I think that challenge was a success!


14 comments:

  1. OMG!! To FUNNY! I am still dying over the disapproving shopper and the last group picture. Came over from YHL and I LOVE LOVE your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that lady was MAD! :)
      Thrift store haters...

      Delete
  2. Your photos are CLASSIC!! And we can't wait to hear if you score that rug tomorrow! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll keep y'all updated. Fingers crossed that it's still there!

      Delete
  3. Wow!! Stopping by from YHL and I love the disappoving shopper in the background...lol!!

    Totally made my day. Keep up the awesome job!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Junie B Jones What! What! Oh my goodness, this is hilarious! That lady was NOT happy. Hope you get the rug!! I think I have seen one like that on Urban Outfitters. Totally your style. For the extra bedroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I figured I can replace the rug that I painted to go in there because this would be softer and probably a lot warmer. Thank you for the Urban Outfitters part..I've been trying to remember where I saw that all day long!

      Delete
  5. Love your post! The disapproving shopper is just jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what fun!! So, since u am reading this today....dis you get your rug? If so, Great snag. I think I would have HAD to buy the alligator shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what fun!! So, since u am reading this today....dis you get your rug? If so, Great snag. I think I would have HAD to buy the alligator shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pictures are great! I think that is an IKEA rug. I hope you got it for $14! Came over from YHL.

    Laura
    TX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amber. That rug is from Ikea. My daughters name is Amber, by the way :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's so cool! I actually went back and got the rug and it still had the IKEA stickers on the back! Score.

      Delete
  10. Stopping by from YHL. You guys are hilarious! I love that you turned it into a scavenger hunt. I bet you had a blast! The disapproving shopper is so funny. She needs to loosen up! ha! Glad you got the rug. :)

    ReplyDelete