Monday, February 18, 2013

Introducing Hope (Part II)

This is part two of the story of how we got our current placement, Hope. Find part one here.

I left you guys off in part one with us just finding out that DCS had already found us a babysitter, and that it a good friend of my mother-in-law's who is a foster parent as well.

So, after I found out that they had already found us a babysitter, the Hubs and I talked about it really quickly, and I excitedly called back and told the social worker that we would take Hope. The Hubs at this point was still pretty freaked out, but he agreed that this was definitely the Lord's timing and direction. I give him full props for being willing to say yes to something so far outside his comfort zone (he's an only child and had basically no experience with younger kids).

After I got off the phone with the social worker, I went out to the car and started calling people as fast as I could. My first call was to my friend Kristy, who has three kids that are basically like our niece and nephews. She volunteered all of the big items that we needed right away. A crib, a pack and play, a car seat, a stroller, etc. I called my friend Kacie who has a two month old, and she volunteered to bring us their extra formula he couldn't use, plus diapers he had grown out of. She also came over to the house with her son and gave me a crash course on all things newborn/baby related. (Keep in mind we had NO experience with newborns) She showed me how to take care of an umbilical cord, how to give a sponge bath, how to burp a baby and how often, how much formula mixes with a certain amount of water, how to fix the car seat, etc. etc.

These girls are AMAZING!

I called our Sunday School teacher, who notified everyone in our class, and from the minute we got home from work until about midnight, we had a very steady stream of people bringing blankets, diapers, formula, clothes, and a whole lot of other things we didn't even know we needed.

I'm telling you guys- God showed up and He showed off for us last weekend!

What an incredible blessing it was for His people to come and do what Christians are called to do all the time- they took care of every need we had, even before we knew what our needs were. Without these friends and their willingness to give freely and obediently, we would never have been able to take Hope.

There is so much more to the story; a friend of my mom's who was praying for us to get the call for the specific child we were supposed to take, (she was literally praying right as the social worker was calling me!!) a friend whose son has reflux and couldn't use all of the free formula they had been getting, (she was saving the formula even though her husband said to throw it away, because she felt like someone soon would have a need for it) and people who just "happened" to be thinking about us or who just "happened" to buy some baby stuff they didn't need.

Let me clue you in on something, friends. There are NO coincidences with God. Don't think for one tiny second that all of those things happened because we were in the right place at the right time.

He had all of that planned, down to the tiniest detail. And some of those details were put into motion months in advance, so that they would be ready at just the exact moment that we needed the provision. God is so faithful.





1 comment:

  1. Precious pictures, and an awesome story. Part 3-God is still showing up and off, just in a different way. You should print this story off for Hope's scrapbook (required here in OH) so she will know of God's rooting her into your life/family!

    ReplyDelete